Since our last Blog swap was so sucessful that Meeta and I decided to have another, our tastes and ideas about food are so similar it's hard to believe that we have never met.
Check out Meeta's posting over at my site Posie's Place.
Since the whole of Europe has been sweltering under a heatwave for the past couple of weeks, Meeta's theme for the Monthly Mingle is very appropriately "Beat The Heat", in addition we decided to use this theme for our swap.
I got my thinking cap and and tried to identify which ingredients really screamed summer sun. I didn't have far to look for inspiration. On my balcony my tomato plants are in full bloom and within the next couple of weeks I will have a glut of tomatoes on my hands. What can be more summery than tomatoes
So now I had my main ingredient in mind, what would help "Beat The Heat" ?
Gazpacho!! Delicious chilled soup of tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, here goes..
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 Red onion, chopped roughly
- 1 Green pepper, chopped roughly
- 1/2 Cucumber (1 cup), peeled, seeded and chopped roughly
- 750ml (3 cups) Passata or tomato juice
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp White wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 Avocado (optional)
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Chill well in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour but preferrably overnight as the flavours develop over time.
- As a twist I took 500ml of the final gazpacho and added half a ripe avocado, the two were blitzed until smooth in a food processor. Two different versions of gazpacho to be enjoyed on a hot summer day! Enjoy!