It was so difficult trying to decide which recipe to choose for this swap, so many delicious recipes....
Here is what I finally picked, I hope you enjoy it!
RICOTTA FRITTA CON PICCOLA INSALATA DI POMODORI - FRIED RICOTTA WITH A LITTLE TOMATO SALAD
- 455g Good crumbly ricotta cheese (Jamie suggests that you buy your ricotta from a good deli and that ricotta from the supermarket generally won't work.)
- 2 Tbsp Freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Flour
- Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 Large egg (preferably organic)
- 1 Large handful mixed, ripe tomatoes (I used roma tomatoes), seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 Sprigs of fresh basil, torn
- 1 Fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Nutmeg, to serving
- Mix the ricotta with the flour, cheese, seasonings, egg and place in the fridge. I now understand what Jamie was going on about when he said to try and get your ricotta from a deli, I use supermarket ricotta, it was quite wet and so needed much more flour to get a workable consistency. I found this out after the first couple of "pancakes" fell apart whilst being fried.
- Mix the chopped tomatoes, chilli, basil and season with salt and pepper. Add some extra virgin olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan containing some olive oil and fry spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture over a medium heat until golden brown on each side.
- Serve hot with a rasp of nutmeg, grated Parmesan and some of the tomato salad
I thought these were really tasty, I think they would make perfect starters but don't think I would make them as hot canapés. If I'm making hot canapés I prefer them to be something which can be put in the oven but that is only personal preference.
food & drink